On 24th-25th November, JA-CHRODIS is organising a conference in Vilnius, Lithuania, entitled Joining Forces in Health Promotion to Tackle the Burden of Chronic Diseases in Europe. This conference will provide JA-CHRODIS partners and relevant EU level, national and local policy makers and practitioners with an opportunity to discuss the state of health promotion and primary prevention in Europe and how to move forward the recommendations resulting from the European Union’s Reflection Process on Chronic Diseases in this area. The focus will be on how actors working in this field can learn from each other and work together to collectively strengthen the effectiveness and level of investments in this field. The conference will also serve as a forum to enable EU Member States to share and discuss good practice (including policy approaches and processes) in health promotion and primary prevention.
Examples of good practices
Examples of good practices will be presented and discussed amongst policy makers as well as experts working in the field and civil society representatives. This will enable analysis of these practices from various perspectives, taking into account the wider cultural, social and political context. The conference will also serve as an initial forum to identify whether/which good practices could be transferred to other contexts.
The work of JA-CHRODIS in the area of health promotion and primary prevention should at the end of 2016 lead, amongst other things, to a series of study visits and recommendations on practical measures that EU Member States and the EU can take to strengthen outcomes and secure more investments in this field. The conference is an important stepping stone towards these results, as participants will discuss how the resources available through JA-CHRODIS and produced to date can be used to strengthen health promotion and primary prevention in their countries and in Europe, identify practical actions and propose draft recommendations.
The first day is a public event, while the second day is a closed event for JA-CHRODIS partners and their invitees, e.g. policy makers active in the field of health promotion and primary prevention.
- Provide an overview of the state of health promotion and primary prevention in EU Member States and identified gaps and needs;
- Explore how Member States can work together to overcome barriers, address these gaps and needs and strengthen investments and the effectiveness of health promotion and primary prevention measures;
- Share good practices identified through the JA-CHRODIS;
- Discuss whether and how good practices can be transferred, to (possibly) address gaps and needs identified, and what other kinds of measures are needed;
- Discuss possible draft policy recommendations for local, national and EU level on what is needed to strengthen health promotion and primary prevention and thereby reduce the burden of chronic disease in Europe.
EuroHealthNet will be fully engaged in this event; policy director Clive Needle will speak and chair a session.