Every 31st May, the World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) is celebrated, with a different theme to cover the broad range of measures within the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC).
This year, WHO focuses of the theme "Raise taxes on tobacco" and published a broad range of information and material on its website.
- Press release issued 27th May (4 languages)
- Fact sheet on taxation (4 languages)
- Poster (English, French and Russian)
- Basic PPT presentation (English and Russian)
- A 6 minute video on the 5 reasons to raise taxes on tobacco products (English)
- Price and tax measures to reduce the demand for tobacco: Ukraine Country case study
An infograph on implementation of taxation is available here
Clive Needle wrote an article on the new directive on tobacco products adopted by the Council on 14 March 2014, following its formal approval by the European Parliament on 26 February 2014. This article is available in the EuroHealthnet's Online Magazine here.
Do not hesitate to tweet using the hashtags #notobacco; #wntd; #wntd2014 follow the tweets on the widget on the WNTD site
The WNTD was created by the Member States of the World Health Organization in 1987 to draw global attention to the tobacco epidemic and the preventable death and disease it causes.