Health Impact Assessment ( 2004 - 2007)
Health Impact Assessment (HIA) is a tool that can be used at a local, regional, or national level to understand the effects of policy decision making on health. The WHO Gothenburg Consensus Paper of 1999 defines health impact assessment as “a combination of procedures, methods and tools by which a policy, programme or project may be judged as to its potential effects on the health of a population, and the distribution of those effects within the population.”
Health impact assessment therefore answers the basic question: how are existing or planned policies, programmes or projects actually affecting, or likely to affect, people’s health for good and for bad? Answering this question guides or assists policy makers and programme managers in making the decisions and changes that are necessary to perform their work in the most socially responsible manner.
For more information please visit the WHO website.
EuroHealthNet took part as a partner in the project “The Effectiveness of Health Impact Assessment”.
The overall aim of the project was to map the use of HIA, evaluate its effectiveness and identify the determinants for its successful implementation.
Further specific aims of the programme were:
- to map the use of health impact assessment in Member States and accession countries;
- to map the use of other impact assessment methodologies which have taken health into account;
- to develop a set of indicators to measure the implementation of HIA;
- to assess the factors that enable or hinder the implementation of HIA including the institutional, organisational and cultural contexts as well as the decision making process;
- to disseminate the findings to improve the use of HIA in the decision making process in the Member States and accession countries.
Contract holder and coordinator: European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies (WHO Regional Office for Europe)
The Effectiveness of Health Impact Assessment project was co-funded under the European Union’s Public Health Programme.
For full information, please visit the HIA website on the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies portal.
RESEARCH & PROJECTS
- Key Concepts
- Current Projects
- Completed Projects
- Join the Network
- Useful Links