EuroHealthNet is a leading Partnership for improving health, equity and well-being, and consists of bodies responsible for public health and health promotion in EU Member States. From our office we co-ordinate research, policy, and capacity building activities to help improve health determinants and address health inequalities.
We have an enthusiastic and highly-skilled team of 13 people plus rotating internships, all of whom contribute to an active, diverse and dynamic work environment. You can read about our work on our Policy, Practice and Research Platforms here.
About the post
Reporting directly to the Senior Policy Coordinator, the Policy and Practice Officer will primarily support the Policy Platform and contribute to: a) Strengthening the capacity of EuroHealthNet members to benefit from and/or apply EU policy processes and instruments; b) serve as link with the Practice Platform to help turn EU policies into actions and facilitate an efficient exchange of good practice; c) encourage members’ participation in EuroHealthNet’s Policy and Practice activities and liaise with key Member State and EU-level stakeholders .
EuroHealthNet’s Policy Platform monitors and influences national and European policy relating to health, health equity, and the wider socio-economic issues which affect health and wellbeing (health determinants). It advocates for policies which are based on solid evidence and practice, and supports cross-sectorial and joined-up policy making. EuroHealthNet provides analysis of policy developments at European, national, and regional levels. The policy team monitors emerging national and European trends and data, to inform members in a timely fashion about forthcoming policy changes and opportunities to shape strategies and initiatives, helping them to effectively and proactively respond, react and implement activities in their respective contexts.
A successful applicant will be expected to:
- Contribute to health and social policy monitoring, with a particular emphasis on their relevance to health equity, identifying windows of opportunity for EuroHealthNet advocacy and action. You will follow and feed results and evidence from EuroHealthNet activities and Members practices into the EU policy process and ensure excellent and sustained visibility of EuroHealthNet’s related outputs and outcomes.
- Conduct background research and develop initial drafts of key Policy Platform content, such as policy briefings and factsheets. You will assist with responses to EU policy consultations and monitoring reforms and investments priorities with a focus on public health in the post-pandemic recovery period. Your role will be to support making that content attractive and relevant to targeted policymakers and other stakeholders.
- Support the monitoring of funding opportunities across Commission DGs and beyond EU institutions, including foundations (working in close cooperation with Practice Coordinator) and contribute to the development of funding applications.
- Help organise member engagement and learning opportunities, such as capacity building and participative workshops, trainings and webinars – in particular in bringing EU policy processes and instruments closer to members and vice versa - in close cooperation with the Senior Policy Coordinator and Practice Coordinator.
- Support the communications work of EuroHealthNet where possible, including updating topical stakeholder lists, and helping to keep the Health Inequalities Portal up to date by identifying and uploading good practices, tools and publications.
- Play an active part in working as part of the team on cross-cutting tasks including events participation, presentations, and liaise with relevant stakeholders, bid writing, fundraising and administration.
- You are educated to master level in a relevant field such as social sciences, humanities, or health related fields;
- You have minimum 3 years of relevant experience in project operations, ideally in not-for-profit organisations working in the field of public health and/or social policy;
- You have demonstrable knowledge of the policy making processes at the European level and of the EU institutions;
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (native speaker level), and have proven experience in writing articles, blogs, reports and policy papers (in English). English writing skills will be tested during the interview; other European languages are a plus;
- You can deliver high-quality results in a timely fashion and are comfortable working on your own as well as in teams;
- You are able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously to meet rapidly changing requirements of projects and priorities;
- You are rigorous and organised, with attention to detail;
- You have a proactive mind-set, pragmatic approach to problem solving and are willing to take the initiative;
- You are proficient in using Microsoft Office tools, including Microsoft Teams, SharePoint and other virtual collaboration tools;
- You are willing to travel within Europe when required (and permitted).
The following skills and experience are additional assets to your application:
- Previous experience of working on EU-funded projects
- Knowledge of any other European language.
This position is offered full-time for one year, with the possibility of obtaining a permanent contract afterwards. It will be offered according to Belgian national legislation.
- The Policy and Practice Officer will report directly to the Senior Policy Coordinator.
- All applicants must be qualified, eligible and able to work in Belgium. We are unfortunately not able to provide financial assistance in relocating to Brussels or Belgium.
- The monthly gross salary range for this post is 2,600€ to 3,000€ (gross), depending on the successful candidate experience. EuroHealthNet also offers benefits such as meal vouchers, financial support towards the use of public transport to work, and hospital insurance.
- The post will include teleworking, office work as well as occasional travel within Europe – depending on COVID-19 regulation.
- The successful candidate will be supplied with necessary materials to work remotely, as required (e.g., laptop)
- Flexible working environment with diversity and equality strategy. Opportunities for professional development.
Applicants should send an email to Renaud Rollet (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the following subject line: “Policy and Practice Officer vacancy”.
Please include the following two files as attachments (do not include any other attachments):
- A CV, with filename SURNAME_FIRSTNAME_CV
- A motivation letter, one page maximum, with filename SURNAME_FIRSTNAME_ML
Please address the following questions in your motivation letter (within the 1-page limit):
- In what ways are you suited to the advertised position?
- What is your view on the European Health Union?
Please note that applications that do not follow these instructions will be automatically disregarded.
The closing date for applications is Monday, 17 May 2021 (midnight). We plan to hold interviews (virtual) in late May, with the appointment to begin as soon as possible after that.
Thank you for your interest in EuroHealthNet!