This project, funded by NORFACE (New Opportunities for Research Funding Agency Cooperation in Europe), aims to answer the following, pressing, question: Why do social inequalities in health persist in European welfare states and what can be done to reduce them? Led by Professor Clare Bambra of Durham University, the project will examine:
- Theoretical pathways between welfare states and social inequalities in health
- Typologies of healthcare systems and social inequalities in health
- The welfare state, healthcare systems, and social inequalities in mortality
- The welfare state, healthcare systems and social inequalities in morbidity
- Evidence reviews of welfare state, healthcare system and public health policy interventions to reduce social inequalities in health
In the final stage of the project HiNews will produce country-specific policy toolkits, and thus aims to impact both on academic and policy spheres. EuroHealthNet is involved throughout, concentrating in particular on dissemination, advocacy and linking the project and findings to policy processes.
For more information on HiNews - click here.