On 3-4 December 2013 in Ashgabat (Turkmenistan), Ministers of health in the WHO European Region are asked to take stock of their achievements in prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases over the past two years, and to declare their commitment to joint action in this area in the short and long terms.
The WHO European Ministerial Conference on the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases in the Context of Health 2020 will address three main themes:
- noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) and development
- Tobacco-free Europe
- National responses to NCDs.
The Ashgabat Declaration
The adoption of a Conference declaration covering these three main themes is planned. The declaration will be a concrete expression of commitment to joint action for NCD prevention and control in the European Region and an important step in the implementation of Health 2020 and the Global Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases 2013-2020.
Regional consultations have been set up and a senior scientific group (the senator group) has been established to prepare the draft declaration for submission to the Conference participants.
- For more information, click here
- A video of EuroHealthNet's Director, Clive Needle is available here
- You will be able to follow the conference on twitter on #NCDAshgabat
- WHO Europe will also post information about the conference on Facebook, so do share the link and like them here and on the conference facebook page