World AIDS Day: A new, ready to use e-learning package to improve quality in HIV prevention

The number of newly reported HIV cases in Europe is increasing contrary to the global trend, which shows an overall decline in new diagnoses,  In 2012, more than 131.000 new HIV diagnoses were reported in Europe and Central Asia, an 8% increase from 2011. A total of 29.000 cases were reported in the European Union and European Economic Area (EU/EEA) a 1% increase from 2011 and 102.000 cases from countries in Eastern Europe and Central Asia (a 9% increase from 2011)[1].

Quality Action, the EU co-funded Joint Action on ‘Improving Quality in HIV Prevention’, aims to further increase the effectiveness of the response to HIV and AIDS in Europe. It does this by improving the quality of HIV prevention, using practical Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) tools.

Quality Action has now developed an e-learning package to support organisations and professionals improve the quality of their HIV prevention work. It comprises short videos of trainers and an overview of three Quality Action tools: Succeed, PQD (Participatory Quality Development)  and QIP (an evidence-based quality assessment tool) and weblinks to the tools and supporting materials. Click here to access the e-learning package. “Stopping the increase in HIV AIDS is not simply a question of more resources for HIV prevention programmes. It is about ensuring that the resources available for prevention are being applied as effectively as possible. The tools now available through Quality Action will contribute to this”, says EuroHealthNet Health Promotion Manager, Ingrid Stegeman.

The project also offers an online forum where organisations and professionals applying the tools can receive support and exchange experiences, views and questions with other partners. They can have direct contact with experts on the QA/QI tools who can answer their questions.

For more information, contact EuroHealthNet HPE Manager Ingrid Stegeman or visit the Quality Action Website here


Background information

About Quality Action

Quality Action is coordinated by the German Federal Centre for Health Education (BZgA) and brings together 25 associated and 20 collaborating partners from 26 EU Member States. The project started in March 2013 and will run for three years. Quality Action has adapted three Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement tools (PQD, Succeed and QIP) and developed two new ones (PIQA and Schiff). The first round of the European-level training workshops were held and more than 100 people from 24 countries participated. Quality Action was present at the International AIDS Conference 2014 in Melbourne, with over 80 participants at the skills building workshop and about 40 participants working in small groups on the Succeed tool.  

The most important part of Quality Action is now in progress: applying the QA/QI tools in practice. The people who attended the training workshops will be able to transfer what they have learned to their daily practice, to succesfully implement the QA/QI tools and to experience the benefits of doing so.  

About the World AIDS Day

World AIDS Day, observed on 1 December every year, is dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection. Government and health officials, non-governmental organizations and individuals around the world observe the day, often with education on AIDS prevention and control.        


[1] Commission Staff Working Document ‘Action Plan on HIV/AIDS in the EU and neighbouring countries 2014-2016’, Brussels 14.03.2014, SWD(2014) 106 final.