The Intersectoral Health and Environment Research for Innovation (INHERIT) project is looking at the links between our living, moving or consuming patterns and the environment, our health and equity. This large-scale Horizon 2020 initiative, coordinated by EuroHealthNet, brings together experts from the health, environment and other sectors, including technology, to investigate policies, practices and innovations that can influence our behaviours to achieve a ‘triple win’.
To move towards a healthier, more equitable and environmentally sustainable future, INHERIT aims to:
- Make more explicit the links between the environment, health, wellbeing, health equity, and our lifestyles and behaviours;
- Contribute to raising awareness amongst policy makers and the general public about our (un)sustainable lifestyles and behaviours and how they impact the environment, health and health equity;
- Identify solutions -policies, interventions and innovations- that help make healthy and environmentally sustainable behaviours the easy and attractive ‘default’ option for all, through a range of different sources (literature review, visioning exercise, citizens’ fora);
- Build the evidence-base regarding cost-effective, good practice models that can be replicated in different contexts;
- Build capacity and encourage leadership from the health sector to work inter-sectorally with the environment and other sectors;
- Use the evidence base to advocate, and mobilise key actors to implement the identified solutions, to help achieve Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals.