Profile & Mission
DoRS (Health Promotion Documentation Centre) mandate is to support health promotion policies at regional and local level, through a knowledge transfer and exchange approach, to review evidences, policies and good practices and to support programs in community setting.
DoRS was established in 1998 as an initiative of Piedmont Region and its core mission is to:
- collect, adapt and exchange scientific knowledge with stakeholders, decision-makers and professionals on health promotion and prevention;
- collect and share information about publications, good practices and experiences developed in the field of health and wellbeing improvement;
- support design, development and evaluation of interventions, plans and policies in the health domain;
- train professionals and decision-makers developing skills and competencies in health and wellbeing promotion;
- cooperate in developing networks at local, regional, national and international level.
DoRS, as knowledge broker, has developed the following competencies:
- Documentation and translation
- Project management
- Database set up and management
- Education and Training
- Communication planning and implementation
- Design and production of communication tools tailored on users different needs: fact-sheets, policy briefs, web sites, scientific reviews
Fields of expertise
- Health promotion and prevention projects and interventions at regional, local and national level
- Health inequalities
- Good practice in health promotion and prevention
- Evidence-based Medicine Prevention and Health Promotion
- Development of competences for Health Promotion capacity building in Europe
- Social marketing and health communication
- Arts, theatre and health
- Occupational carcinogens
- Chemical risk
- Factual databases
- Epidemiology and statistics
A multidisciplinary team of 27 professionals in health promotion, psychology, education, documentation, communication, biology and chemistry works at DoRS. We are committed to promote close collaboration among members of DoRS and with partner organizations.
Our main activities are:
- Translation into Italian of scientific articles and documents on disease prevention, health promotion and social marketing;
- Summaries and abridgements of articles, evidences of efficacy and good practices;
- Courses and workshops on health promotion and prevention and social marketing and book presentations;
- Training and assistance to implement local, regional and national plans and projects.
We intend to identify and share good practices to promote health and equity in public health across Europe, to encourage and support communities and individuals to pursue healthier lifestyles.
We are working to become more present in European networks, to develop collaborative relations with EU health professionals and to gain innovative expertise.
Our website www.dors.it includes:
- thematic areas on the following topics: obesity and physical activity, alcohol, smoking, drug and substance abuse, road safety, home safety, mental health, occupational health, sexual health, gambling, health literacy, participation and empowerment, school, pollution, violence against women, breast-feeding,
- monthly electronic newsletters;
- thematic booklets and fact-sheets;
- document files and structured bibliographic references with comments;
- a job-exposure matrix for carcinogenic chemicals (MATline);
- a projects and interventions database (grey literature, audiovisual and graphic material) and information system on disease prevention and health promotion interventions and good practices (Pro.Sa.).